In order to solve the technical problems of fire safety technology transformation in Potala Palace maintenance project, and to guide the establishment of Tibet's ancient architecture fire prevention system, the research carried out by SKLFS systematically investigated the fire safety technology of The Potala Palace，a representative of the plateau ancient building. Research progresses are summarized as follows:
1. The fire prevention facilities’ optimization program of Potala Palace is proposed according to the fuel distribution and fire control strategy. The draft of the Tibetan local fire regulations and local standards “Fire safety regulations of ancient building in Tibet , Fire safety management in heritage sites of ancient buildings are prepared. The framework for fire regulations of Tibet's ancient architecture is formed.
2. The countermeasure of small temple fires and the evacuation strategies of Potala Palace are proposed. A new laser-based evacuation indicator is developed.
3. The electrical safety and fire prevention measures of the Potala Palace are proposed. Fire detection and alarm technology solutions and engineering parameters at high altitude are developed. The wireless fire alarm system for smoke detection and temperature monitoring system are developed. Video fire detection system and video databases are created. A plateau fire pump test platform is also established and the pump test report is submitted.
4. A transparent high performance flame-retardant coating is created. The combined triple anti-degradation technology of wood is developed. In the typical low-oxygen conditions, the combustion characteristics of fuel and its impact on the effectiveness of water mist fire suppression are revealed.
5. Two reports of guidelines and recommendations on the renovation project of the Potala Palace are submitted. China's first experimental base of plateau fire - the Tibetan Plateau experiment base of fire safety was built.
Several papers have been published in the proceedings of the combustion Institute, Vols. 32 and 33, and over 8 patents applications have been filed.
Fig. 1 Hydrogen flame temperature fields in Lhasa (left, 64300Pa, 300K) and Hefei (right, 101325Pa, 300K)
Fig.2 Hydrogen flame mass fractions in Lhasa (left, 64300Pa, 300K) and Hefei (right, 101325Pa, 300K)